Safeguarding Young People and Children
As one of its major activities Maryport Street Baptist Chapel, Devizes seeks to serve the pastoral and spiritual needs of children and young people.
In doing so Maryport Street Baptist Chapel, Devizes, takes seriously the welfare of all young people and children who come onto its premises or who are involved in its activities.
Maryport Street Baptist Chapel:
- Aims to ensure that young people and children are welcomed into a safe, caring, Christian environment with a happy and friendly atmosphere.
- Recognises that it is the responsibility of each one of its staff, paid and unpaid, to prevent the neglect, physical, sexual or emotional abuse of young people and children and to report any abuse discovered or suspected
- Insists that ANY report or suspicion of abuse must be reported to the Pastor immediately (01380 699967 or 07752258177) or in his absence one of the Church Officers AND it MUST be reported to the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0300 4560108, 8.45am-5pm, Monday-Thursday and 8.45am-4pm Friday; out of hours 0845 6070 888. Or if there is immediate danger, phone the police or emergency services on 999.
- Recognises its responsibility to implement, maintain and regularly review procedures, which are designed to prevent and to alert such abuse.
- Is committed to supporting, resourcing and training those who work with young people and children and providing supervision.
- To work collaboratively with statutory services, regarding persons who may attend the church, who may also be subject to specific legal restrictions in relation to young people and children, ensuring the safety of the children is paramount.
- Is committed to ensuring that there are good links with the statutory child care services
- Is committed to ensuring that all those who are involved in working with children have the relevant Disclosure Barring Services (DBS) checks.
- Emphasises the necessity of being without reproach and above suspicion in all of its activities.
For example church members and those working with children should not allow themselves to be left alone with a child and out of sight of other workers. The use of private vehicles belonging to members or children’s workers shall not be used for the transportation of children to and from activities at the Chapel or in connection to the Chapel.